Winter is literally around the corner and although we seriously love that we can take out our coats and boots, there's a downside to having to be out and about in cold, wet, weather - flu.
We've all been here before and with so many remedies around, we end up going a little overboard with over the counter meds, however, that isn't necessary. Here are some natural products you can use to curb the flu.
Symptoms include: Body ache, fever, sore/dry throat, hayfever and headaches.
5 things you can try at home:
- Raw garlic - known for its natural ability to heal the body, crushed garlic with a bit of water (and honey) for taste will ease symptoms.
- Lemon juice & ginger - soothe your sore throat by squeezing lemon and adding ginger to warm or cold water.
- Apple cider vinegar - definitely a little tougher to swallow but also works well for a sore and dry throat.
- Chamomile - many people don't know that besides having a calming effect, chamomile has anti-oxidants that help relieve the pain and fever. Buy a box of tea and add honey and lemon for taste.
- Face steam - this remedy is one of the oldest and really opens up the airways. Use boiling water in a small bucket or basin - thyme, rosemary and a little menthol to the water. Cover your head and face with a towel and inhale the steam for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Chicken soup is the age-old remedy for flu and can be made with home ingredients such as onions and peppers.
We highly advise that you also consult a doctor if symptoms persist as this may be an indication of infection.
Have more home remedies? which ones do you often use?