This week our Beauty Editor, Nicole Newman, tried and tested the worldwide phenomenon, Olaplex. Olaplex is an American product that has never been seen before and was pioneered by Dr. Eric Pressly, PHD in materials, and Dr. Craig Hawker, PHD in Chemistry. Ever since the treatment began to be filtered into the South African market towards the end of 2015 we’ve heard nothing but positive results from the women who’ve had this done but we wanted to see for ourselves.
‘I was initially under the impression that Olaplex could only be used if you coloured your hair, which I don’t. Once I found out that you could have the treatment done regardless I raced to my hairdresser who took me through the steps, showed me how the treatment worked and why it has the results it does.’
Here salon expert, Michael Fryatt, gives us the low-down on Olaplex – telling us how it works and why every woman deserves the best.
- Olaplex is free of silicone, sulfates, phthalates, DEA, aldehydes and is never tested on animals. The treatment reconnects broken disulfide sulfur bonds in the hair that are broken during thermal, mechanical and chemical services. I use Olalpex as a tool to restore hair back to its healthy, natural existence. The more you use Olaplex the more familiar you will become with the treatment and you will continuously see resounding results.
- Olaplex can be used on all hair types. From virgin, non-chemically treated hair to bleached and heavily coloured hair. It will restore your hair to its healthier, natural state.
- I have been using Olaplex on my clients for over 2 months now. The results have been unbelievable. Not only for myself but for my clients who have been able to see and feel it for themselves. The treatment restores and repairs naturally – like nothing I have seen before. Their hair has had more strength and shine, which ultimately makes the hair look incredible.
- There are no limits to how many times you can receive the Olaplex treatment or how often you can have it done. It is a reparative treatment so the more you do it, the more you repair the broken down bonds in your hair. Personally, I would recommend the salon treatment (phase 1 and 2) to be done once a fortnight as well as that the client takes home phase 3 (a leave on treatment to use weekly) for maintenance.
- Basing my work on a principle that I was taught in the very early stages of my career, being that a damp sponge absorbs more than a dry sponge, I first shampoo the client’s hair. I then apply Olaplex Phase 1 to towel dried hair and leave on for 5-10 minutes. Phases 2 of the treatment is then applied directly on top of Phase 1 and I leave this on anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. Remember this is not a conditioning treatment but rather a much deeper treatment that targets the molecular damage that the hair has undergone. After this I shampoo and condition the hair again with on of the Joico ranges.
The results are instant – the hair is immediately softer and shinier. The Phase 3 part of the treatment can be purchased and used at home weekly by shampooing the hair, then applying the treatment to towel-dried hair (you only need to use an amount about the size of a R5 coin), leaving on for 10-30 minutes and then rinse, shampoo and condition.
Don’t wait another day before helping your hair be at its best!
To book an appointment in Cape Town contact Michael Fryatt on 072 277 1813 or contact your local salon for more information.